en

The Worst of the Best- The Month8217s Wi | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
Abbey Pendleton

Good morning, friends, and thanks for visiting the first part of the years second edition of The Worst Of The Best. This is a series where we watch major league baseball players do things poorly which in one sense is insulting and which in another sense functions as a series of backhand compliments. We call focus on the mistakes because usually they are very close to perfect! Theyre not, but, they are really good, even the players you hate the very most. I bet you actually cant stand a person on your favorite teams bench. That player is better at baseball than you are at whatever youre best at. I am talking about, probably. Does FanGraphs obtain that many brilliant, gifted readers? Ill stop myself. Heres a hyperlink to the complete series archive!

Were likely to look at the wildest pitches thrown in May, and while perhaps this wouldve worked better on the first day's June for reasons of timeline s, it obviously isnt the very first day of June now. Also, included are some pitches from May 5, 9, and 10, so its nothing like timeline s is really a considered factor. The pitches are the pitches located furthest in the center of the PITCHf/x strike zone, which is good enough for me personally. As i might mi s a pitch or two, consider it: do you really want this to be perfect? Then what of all things else? Celebrate imperfections. Below please find a top-five list, along with a next-five list, the second being free of commentary and the former not that.

Pitcher: Tony CingraniBatter: Jhonny PeraltaDate: May 24Location: 60.0 inches from center of zone

Pitcher: Dustin McGowanBatter: Ian StewartDate: May 9Location: 60.2 inches from center of zone

Pitcher: Jake OdorizziBatter: Mike CarpDate: May 31Location: 60.7 inches from center of zone

Pitcher: Cesar RamosBatter: Kyle SeagerDate: May 12Location: 63.1 inches from center of zone

Pitcher: Zach McAllisterBatter: Kurt SuzukiDate: May 5Location: 64.1 inches from center of zone

Time to write words for you to skim. Internet!

Pitcher: Chris YoungBatter: Eric HosmerDate: May 10Location: 64.8 inches from center of zone

Did you will know Chris Young throws a curveball? Neither did Eric Hosmer. Neither did John Buck. Neither did the umpire. Neither did Chris Young. Its an advisable pitch, however, if he is able to master it, if he can release it from up high enough, then a few of the ball should melt away on descent and then itll considerably smaller when it approaches the leading plane from the strike zone. Batters have always said that Young throws something of the invisible fastball, however they havent seen anything yet. I am talking about, theyve seen lots of things, but they havent seen a curveball that disintegrates during its flight path. What a dumb expre sion. Dont ever take expre sions literally. Really? Its raining dogs and cats? No, no thank you, I dont need to see.

Chris Young is really a guy who lives at any height. Has been, and hes got his reasons for that, as he relayed onto Eno the other day. Hes like Tony Cingrani or Trevor Bauer by doing so, only with even le s heat. But a pitcher cant throw high exclusively if he wants to succeed, for game-theory reasons. You have to keep your hitters honest by throwing a pitch down every so often, and above, Young tallied up about four or five innings worth of down in a single delivery. A veteran like Young understands how to be efficient.

Chris Youngs curveball mi sed the strike zone twice.

You see that? You see Young licking his fingers? You are aware how a pitcher may use wet fingers to make the baseball do funny things? Take into account the sequence here. Young was ahead within the count. He threw what seems like a wasted curveball, however it was such a bad curveball it got everyone distracted. And with the whole ballpark looking away, Young was able to visit his mouth with nary a glance from the authorities or the opposition. So a wasted curveball really was concerning the next pitch, the kind of bigger-picture thinking you ought to expect from the Princeton graduate. Sure, you can the TV cameras caught everything, but its not like anyone was watching this live.

Umpire: HeyUmpire: HeyyyUmpire: Cleanup on aisle bitchworkUmpire:Ball boy:Ball boy: /sprints overUmpire: Youre lucky to be here, boyBall boy: Literally nobody likes you

Pitcher: Jake ArrietaBatter: Matt CarpenterDate: May 13Location: 65.0 inches from center of zone

Well hang on a minute only a second. Lets freeze that during the delivery:

The batter looks normally positioned. The catcher looks normally positioned, along with the umpire. Jake Arrieta appears like hes getting ready to pitch the baseball to somewhere about Nike Cortez Shoes 40 or 50 feet towards the catchers left. Your camera is looking at the plate dead on, but Arrieta is pitching as though weve got an off-center angle. His foot is off to the side. His hips and arms are pointed to the side. This is what Arrieta would seem like if he were really upset in a heckler and attempted to bean him within the stands. Its no surprise he threw this type of lousy breaking ball. Its no wonder he never developed using the Orioles. You simply cant throw consistent strikes with this particular type of delivery. Which is the delivery he has now, after many years of labor. I cant be the only person whos noticed this. What do you mean 2.93 FIP?

Matt Carpenter has leaned over to obtain a closer look. He's no intention of swinging at the pitch hes just interested in it. Carpenter, ought to be fact, never swings, which is because he isnt a baseball player. Hes a baseball scientist, a baseball observer, and like any trained observer he tries not to interact with the experiment as its running. At some point he observed so closely that he was given a uniform and a roster spot, and he considered explaining himself, but he realized he couldnt engage without altering the circumstances of the experiment so he finished up accidentally on a team as well as in a lineup. He still tries to do le s than po sible and hes unintentionally achieved a .395 OBP because pitchers cant throw regular strikes to anybody.

Carpenter: HooweeCarpenter: That pitch really stankCastillo: here you want to smell the ballCarpenter: hahaCarpenter: no!!Carpenter: gro s

Matt Carpenter thought about doing a favor, but instead he elected to mu s up some lines someone put there with care and precision while everyone did deal with him.

Pitcher: Justin GrimmBatter: Lyle OverbayDate: May 31Location: 68.9 inches from center of zone

Would you look at this? Chris Young threw a dreadful breaking ball and licked his fingers when no one was looking. Justin Grimm threw a terrible breaking ball and went to the balance of his cap when he figured nobody was looking. But he waited too long, since the umpire wound up looking right at him. Not too he did anything, since it isnt really up to the umpires to make Nike Cortez Unisex Shoes decisions about hunting for a foreign substance. This really is going to change the way I look at baseball. No more am I going to figure awful breaking balls are mistakes. Theyre really just distractions, as the pitcher is attempting to improve the next delivery. Im lying to your face, Im not likely to think that. In these posts, I lie.

Maybe the most wonderful point about this pitch: it didnt hit Lyle Overbay around the hip and buttocks. It hit catcher John Baker round the hip and buttocks. In shuffling to try to block the pitch, Baker actually turned his hip in it and also got track of a bruise. John Baker was facing Justin Grimm, and Justin Grimm threw a pitch that sort of struck Bakers butt. Its true what they say: you see something new all the games. Its just sometimes you have to dig to find out exactly what the new thing is the fact that youve seen. It sometimes isnt very exciting. Sometimes it involves John Bakers butt.

Baker: Say, Lyle.Baker: According to that, At Bat may be the #1 app for live Brewers Baseball.Overbay: well doy

Baker: Hi guys!Baker: Very good news!Baker: I found the #1 app for live Brewers Baseball!Renteria: Why are you capitalizing baseball?

Lyle Overbay was drafted out of elementary school and hasnt matured a day since. You got hit in the butt. This is the sound butts make.

Sort of unrelated, I want to demonstrate how this at-bat ended. As long as were here, right? Heres the penultimate pitch:

And heres the best pitch:

Identical. Completely identical. Opposite call. Take a look at Grimms body gestures after the called strike, he has a quick little shrug, like, where was that around the last pitch? In this .gif, the thing is a pitcher complaining following a called third strike. This is what drives pitchers insane. This really is among the countle s stuff that drives pitchers insane. Dont you dare look happy should you hit a house run! Somebody might throw a fastball at the brain!

Pitcher: Cesar RamosBatter: Luis JimenezDate: May 17Location: 71.8 inches from center of zone

The Angels broadcast helpfully explained following the pitch that, even though the ball hit the ground before it hit the batter, the batter was still being eligible for his base, as the play was live upon contact. Its a pretty basic rule, and everybody around here has known that for a long time. A succe s batter continues to be a normal hit batter even on the pitch that bounces. But, one wonders in which the line is. If a pitch bounces right in front of the batter, then hits him, the batter goes to first. What about an extraordinarily wild pitch? Let's say the ball hits the batter from the backstop? Let's say the pitcher trips and falls and spikes the baseball, after which it bounces many times before hitting the batter? What if a pitcher hypothetically were to roll the baseball in the direction of the batter, after which it hits the batter in the foot? Are those all still hit-by-pitches? There can be a line somewhere. And Cesar Ramos is determined to find it.

Behold the rare terrible pitch that doesnt even make it to the dirt. Behold Luis Jimenezs expre sion of calmne s. Jimenez has accepted the baseball is going to hit him. Hes accepted that its likely to hurt a little, and hes accepted that its just area of the contest. Hes accepted the pitcher means nothing because of it, and hes accepted that hes getting hit again, get hit more, and a few seem to be going to hurt even worse. A batter has a lot of time for you to think throughout the flight of a 71 mile-per-hour slow curve. That might be among the ideas behind throwing a 71 mile-per-hour slow curve. Really give that hitter time to think about all the errands he might need to run the following afternoon. Provide him time for you to think about whether hes leaving any kind of legacy, or whether hell be forgotten the moment hes dead, if not far far sooner. Give him time to take into account the proven fact that eventually he will be a defunct person.

Keep your eye on the baseball, the coaches always said. They never said when it was okay to take your eye off.

Something Ive noticed through creating these posts is the fact that, if you watch in slow motion, catchers virtually also have their eyes closed once the baseballs arriving. Its presumably instinct. Balls going fast. So, its normal to determine a catcher catch together with his eyes closed. Its le s normal to determine a catcher act like hes within the Sea World splash zone.

I was all ready to poker fun at the stupid term phantom cam, but then, poof, right there, at impact! A ghost!! Somebody call somebody! Somebody call someone who knows how to handle seeing ghosts! If Luis Jimenez is haunted, I might know why the Angels for a long time have been underachieving. Jimenez mi sed the entire 2009 season due to injury. The Angels havent made the playoffs since he came back.

Pitcher: Tony SippBatter: Michael SaundersDate: May 22Location: 75.1 inches from center of zone

For years, the one thing holding Tony Sipp back continues to be his insistence on clicking his heels while throwing every pitch. Youre never going to throw strikes like this, theyve told him. Its magic you may also throw a ball forward, theyve told him. Have you once seen a baseball pitcher? theyve asked him. Sipp has held firm when confronted with skepticism, and its gotten him all the way to the Houston Astros. He hasnt yet met a teammate who loves the Wizard of Oz as much as he does, but nonethele s he continues with the regular tribute, and also to be perfectly honest this is a disaster of a paragraph and that i dont know what to do by using it so lets just

Fun fact no. 1: this pitch bounced from the gra s. The gra s is feet in front of the plate. PITCHf/x measures in which a pitch wouldve cro sed Nike Zoom Winflo 2 Men Shoes the plate in front plane, and, accordingly, this pitch was given an adverse vertical location, implying it wouldve cro sed home plate underneath the surface of the Earth.

Fun fact no. 2: the vertical location was -2.87, and also the horizontal location was -2.98. The pitch wouldve cro sed the front plane almost three feet underneath the ground. Fot it, it was even more outside. Tony Sipp mi ses in multiple dimensions.

Castro: Personally i think like I could pitch better than these clowns.

Castro: I really just dont want to let him throw another pitch.

Castro: Would you not give this back to the pitcher?

Baseball is a selfish, individual game. By a few miracle, Sipps slider was blocked by Jason Castro. The block prevented the Mariners from scoring the go-ahead operate on Sipps mistake. If this was evident that the pitch was succe sfully blocked, and that no runner would score, Sipp researched in exasperation and self-loathing. What had happened was great for they, in this way. But it reflected poorly on Tony Sipp, and Tony Sipp cares about Tony Sipp. In the defense, hes spent his very existence caring about Tony Sipp, and sometimes its just difficult to open your heart.

By a lucky miracle, the Mariners didnt move forward on Sipps mistake. Moments later, the Mariners took charge when Sipp didnt sprint off of the mound to pay for first on an infield grounder. Two runs actually scored partly because Sipp didnt immediately turn around after stepping on the bag. The Mariners won the sport by that 3-1 margin. A belief is the fact that, during the period of a regular season, luck tends to balance out. Fewer people think that luck has a tendency to even out during the period of just a couple pitches. That would be a crazy belief, but, here we are, considering the luck of the Astros and Mariners. The Mariners deserved a lead plus they got it. They simply first got it inside a stupid way instead of a le s stupid way. This way no one reaches feel better about themselves.